[Chris Withers]
> So, are these two what I'm after for 6 and 7 respectively?
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004U6ZC/qid=1127557337/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_3_4/026-8900047-5040402
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000089GKV/qid=1127557337/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_3_1/026-8900047-5040402

Sorry, I don't think so.  It's confusing:  MS has changed the names of
these things since I got mine.  Your links above point to Standard
editions.  At least the second link has text explaining why that's

    This is the Standard edition, which is primarily intended for
learning. Although
    it has all you need to create both Windows and Web applications,
the compiler
    is non-optimising. Professional developers should consider Visual Studio.NET
    Professional Edition 2003, which includes a more advanced version of Visual
    C++ ...

As a result, nobody uses Standard editions for serious development.
The lowest (cheapest) level at which they include an optimizing
compiler is usually named the Professional edition.