Martin Aspeli wrote:

Except ZConfig on/off switches are very easy to understand just by reading the
zope.conf file. That doesn't mean that same syntax would make managing something as complex as the type of wiring ZCML is currently used for any clearer, though.

No, but that's the realm of Philipp's proposal, not Jim's ;-)

I'd be in favour of switching zope.conf to an XML-based format as well, personally.

Well, I'd prefer this to having two config file formats, but I'd prefer it less that using .conf for both ;-)

Commercial development tools typically have pretty decent XML support, and if
you were to write e.g. a ZCML editor as an Eclipse plug in, being able to rely
on existing XML components would be much easier. Developers familiar with J2EE,
.NET etc. are used to XML configuration files, and have editors and tools they
are comfortable with. Being able to use those same tools (oh, it's just XML) may
ease the learning curve a little.

Also, I assume there's a DTD or XML Schema for the ZCML syntax, which would let
such tools validate and auto-complete ZCML syntax - a valuable way to save time
if you're not intimately familiar with the syntax.

While I agree with all of this, I've never seen anyone actually do this for anything Zope-related so far. ZPT is a prime example where this was touted as a good reason to go for an XML-based attribute language, but no-one ever developed these tools. As such, I'm tempted to cry "yagni" on XML-because-its-easier-for-tools...

Chris

           - http://www.simplistix.co.uk