Stephan Richter wrote:
On Monday 06 February 2006 06:13, Martijn Faassen wrote:

Is this stuff intended to end up in the zope core eventually? If so,
what steps will need to be taken? I imagine this also ties into the eggs
story, but the question on the zope core perhaps still stands - what
would be a dependency of the zope core?

In light of the recent discussion at the Plone Snowsprint, there is a general desire to have a common repository for Zope 3 addons that are useful, but might not be appropriate for the core. In my opinion we would like to be able to control the license and quality of this repository. Basically, it should be core-quality/ready code in an add-on place. Thus, it would also require those packages to follow the Zope 3 development process. I have had positive feedback about this idea from the Plone developers.

Also important is regular releases for these packages. Released versions do:

* publicity

* make it clear for which zope version my add-on package release is going to work. Right now it's unclear whether the add-ons are for Zope 3.2, or Zope 3 trunk, or what.

Additionally, we should make it easy for people to install these packages in a canonical way. Right now, this is confusing... I had some things to say about general package layout here:

With a package in the 'zope' namespace, what am I supposed to do when I install it? Symlink it into lib/python of my Zope 3 software home?

When I have two separate packages in the zc namespace, how am I supposed to install that?

I can get it all working of course, but it's non-obvious and there are multiple ways to do it. There should a single obvious way to do it.

I'm also worried about putting non-core packages into the namespace 'zope'. It's unclear what ZC's policy is in this; some packages are in the 'zope' namespace, other packages are in 'zc'. And not only ZC is adding things to the 'zope' namespace; there's zope.paste, for instance.

Eggs and setuptools may make some of these points less important, but I don't know how far away this is in the future. Perhaps we should do something now, like write a document on what the policy is.