On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 10:39:52 -0000, Lennart Regebro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

things. Extreme example: In Plone the core Plone product is called
CMFPlone. It pisses Alexander off. Should we rename it 'Plone' and thus
break every product that ever imported from CMFPlone? Should we make a
jungle of aliases and deprecation warnings? Or should we live with our
mistakes? In this case, the benefit is marginal and the potential
confusion and breakage is high. That trade-off point moves with time,
though, as the more major parts of the framework become "right" and as the user base increases. However, that same user base will not increase beyond
those who are so well-informed that they know what they're getting
themselves into, if the software gets a reputation for breaking your code.

I guess the question is, how far along that curve is Zope 3? How far along
does it want to be?

It's curvature point is  6.3 milliMartins. ;-)

Hah :)

There are methods for neatly deprecating things like this, and they
have been employed consitently in Zope 3, and quite consistetly in
later versions of Zope2. For example,  in Zope 2.8 the whole Zope
package was renamed Zope2. The Zope.py backwards compatibility handler
will be removed in Zope 2.11.  I'm not aware of this causing any
problems.

There are two types of deprecation, though - one is deprecating specific packages or methods or classes. Another is deprecating fundamental patterns and ways of working. Am I supposed to use ZCML for this or Python? Well, a while ago, it was ZCML, now it's python, and then maybe it'll be something that looks completely different. Now I'm told that the ZODB is the de-facto way of storing content. Maybe soon the default may be a filesystem. Mmm...

I just wonder how someone who isn't already "in the know" and on this list would hope to keep up with all these twists and turns. That is - I wonder how those who have deployed on Zope 3 deal with them.

Martin

--
(muted)