Rob Jeschofnik wrote:
Jim Fulton wrote:

In summary, I think we need *both* approaches, as they serve different
needs.

I'd have to agree... so +1
.. but I'd suggest that the application/plugin should have a way of defining which ways it can (or prefers, if it can't be enforced) to be included, so it is clear that Package-X is really a plugin for Product-Y, rather than a whole new stand-alone product.

Maybe.  I'm not sure it will always be clear that a package can only
be used a particular way.  But your point is well taken and deserves
more though. :)

Jim