On Jul 7, 2006, at 9:45 AM, Julien Anguenot wrote:

Hi there,

Jim Fulton wrote:
On Jul 5, 2006, at 5:46 AM, Christian Theune wrote:
I'm sitting at EuroPython right now, and a small discussion came up,
trying to find out why nobody seems motivated to fix bugs came up.

Martijn Fassen noted that the tools we use should be better (I agree
on that, especially making it easy to find which bugs need to be
urgently fixed for the next release). Obviously that isn't a pure
problem on it's own.

There are certainly many problems with the current bug trackers,
which were written several years ago.  Finding out quickly which bugs
need to be fixed for the next release isn't one of them. (Although
discovering how to do this isn't obvious and could be trivially improved
through configuration.)

I tried to raise the discussion last year about this topic :

... but didn't go far.
I believe the bug tracker is certainly the most important tool for a
project like Zope3.

I wasn't suggesting that we couldn't use a better bug tracker.
I was just saying that it's not hard to find out what bugs need
to be fixed for the next release.

Nowadays, to know what bugs need to big fixed I need to :

 - Consult a TODO.txt file within the trunk ....
   (like in the good old days...) And hope nobody forgot any bug.

- Then go the issue tracker to get the description and possible comments.

No. you just go to the collector and search for accepted or
pending bugs or bugs with solutions. That's it.  If we are focussed on
a release, you should further limit this to critical items.  All of this
is easy to do with the existing UI.

It's painful but as a commiter I could do it. Now imagine someone that
would like to participate outside of the Zope community.

It means basically that we are dealing with the Zope3 *releases* using
text files... Bug trackers such as Trac, Bugzilla, Mantis or the really best one Jira are doing that properly for you using milestone or releases.

No. they use the collector. The to-do file was checked in by accident. :(

So finding bugs that need to be fixed can be done easily but finding
bugs that need to be fixed *for* a given release is another story.

No. Bugs that need to be fixed for the next release are marked critical.
As I mentioned, this can and probably should be improved.

Snipping further collector complaints.  The bug fiing problem is
*not* a tool issue.

CTO                             (540) 361-1714