Jim Fulton wrote:

Christian Theune wrote:
Why? Because we keep changing stuff and don't tell people in VERY LARGE
LETTERS about it.

Actually, you highlighted the wrong bit, the important bit is:

BECAUSE WE KEEP CHANGING STUFF

This is really the central point (or, at least, IMO, the most important point) in this thread.

I'm glad at least one other person seems to feel that way ;-)

Zope 3 was declared ready for production because people were using it in production,

A mistake perhaps?

But then, when does something become production otherwise?
I think the temptation to keep polishing would be too strong...

People who used Zope 3 should have been made aware of these issues. Maybe there weren't.

They were, but there are benefits to Zope 3 ;-)

the messages, but we certainly tried to be informative. We've also tried very hard to be backward compatible.

bzzt.. nope, backwards compatible for a period of time, which is NOT backwards compatability in my mind. I can still use 8.3 filenames in Windows XP if I really want. That's backwards compatability and is about the only thing MS ever did right...

I do think the rate of change needs to decrease and I'm pretty confident it will. The local-registration changes in 3.3 are the biggest remaining API/Architectural change I'm aware of.

Yay! I can only hope. It would certainly help Zope 3 become a much more easily adoptable framework imho.

I think that the biggest change ahead will be in redoing the packaging to:

- be egg friendly, if not egg-centric,

But that should change anything w.r.t. actual use, right?

This will lead to many things moving out of zope.app.

Yay! More breakage :-/

I think in the future, we should resist minor api tweaks just to improve spelling slightly.

+ sys.maxint

Chris

           - http://www.simplistix.co.uk