Martijn Faassen wrote:
Andreas Jung wrote:

Another point with this whole half-yr release cycle: we're going to confuse
more and more professional users about which Zope version to use for what.
I've heard from my major customer but also from other ppl. IN December we would have *three* maintained versions 2.9, 2.10 and 2.11. We definitely
can't deprecate Zope 2.9 in December because this version is required
by Plone 2.5. Plone 2.5 was just released and ppl just start to migrate
from Plone 2.1 to Plone 2.5. We have the burden  maintain Zope 2.9 for the
mid-future. So my personal impression right now is: we're flooding the community with new major releases and the community does not adapt those releases. My theory: a major part of the ppl running Zope are running Plone.
on top of Zope...so with have to deal with this fact somehow.

That is a good argument for lengthening the release cycle. (as opposed to say, people will fix more bugs if the release cycle is longer)

What do you think about a 9 month release cycle?

If we can't manage a 6 month cycle, 9 months is the longest release cycle I think is acceptable.

Personally I think we should just release the trunk every six months (with a list of known bugs) and that be it. (I'm speaking of Zope 3 here, I don't know enough about the dynamics of the Zope 2 ecosystem to comment there.)
--
Benji York
Senior Software Engineer