On 2 Mar 2007, at 12:10 , Jodok Batlogg wrote:
On Mar 2, 2007, at 5:00 PM, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:

For the lack of a better mailinglist, I'm posting this to zope3-dev:

z3c.zalchemy is pretty cool, but the tons of bare except clauses make me a bit uneasy. When I see them, I wonder what this code is expecting to fail and why. Plus, there are no comments as to why a try/except was used in the first place.

can you elaborate?

I can't, other than I have no idea *why* these are bare excepts and not catching a specific exception. Which one I can't tell you, I'm not the original author and have no idea why catching an exception is necessary at that point anyway.

All I know is that bare excepts are potentially masking exceptions that I'd like to know about, especially when they're used like this:

With code like this I ask myself: what did the author think/ experience go wrong and why is it ok to just go on without making an error report??? I would at least expect a unit test that would exercise the except clause, but I can't find any mentioning of that either...

i found six bare excepts. four of them in tearDown of the tests. the remaining two in _doCreateTable and dropTable

Right. I'm not sure if it makes a difference where these bare excepts are. If they're in tests it's just as bad because the tests might be running fine while there's actually an error going on.