On Jul 1, 2007, at 4:01 PM, Benji York wrote:

Fabio Tranchitella wrote:
My question is easy: I don't know how to investigate the problem when my
Zope instance is not responsive anymore. I tried to use PDB, GDB and
friends but without success.

One of GDB's friends is strace. It can be very helpful in situations like yours. Use the -p option to attach to the running process to see what's going on.

See also http://www.upfrontsystems.co.za/Members/jean/zope-notes/ debug-spinning-zope and http://svn.python.org/view/python/trunk/ Misc/gdbinit?view=markup.

Another option, if you are using zserver, is to (carefully) use the Medusa monitor server and client. This lets you telnet to the server and get a limited Python prompt that lets you poke around at the Python level. Of course, this is a potential security hole if not done carefully. I used to find it very useful for looking at hung Zope 2 applications before it was disabled in Zope 3 for security reasons.

I would try what Benji suggested first and then pursue the monitor server if that doesn't work.

Jim

Powered!
CTO                             (540) 361-1714
http://www.python.org