On 18 Jul 2007, at 19:25 , Kent Tenney wrote:
on my W2K machine
zopeproject MyZopeProject

fails because I don't have Visual Studio installed and it wants
to compile extensions for ZODB

Right. Something seems to depend on ZODB 3.9.0-xyz now and we have no binary for that (yet). Sadly enough, I recently asked Jim to make Windows eggs and they've all become useless because at least half of the packages now have newer releases (which buildout insists on using).

I've heard that mingw can substitute, but I've never succeeded in configuring it.

Well, I managed to install it (you need cygwin, then install the gcc- mingw-core package from the 'devel' section). And with 'python setup.py build -c mingw32', it seems I can even build Windows eggs, though I can't get them to work. I get some a DLL error ("Access denied.")

What's more, there seems to be now way to tell zc.buildout to pass the '-c mingw32' option to setup.py when building eggs.

I wonder, if done correctly (and I believe some people, e.g. Andreas Jung, have managed to get mingw to build binary eggs for them), are mingw-based eggs any worse than Visual C ones?

If not, then there's a good chance that we can actually get a setup for Windows people that won't require Jim or Adam having to build Windows eggs all the time.