On Sep 6, 2007, at 4:02 AM, Chris Withers wrote:

Martin Aspeli wrote:
Jim Fulton wrote:
I'm very much against making setuptools *more* complicated than it already is.
Indeed, but surely managing "known good" sets of components comes under its remit of version management?
Sure.  It does this via requirements.

Ok, forgive me for being dumb then, but why are we looking to add similar to zc.buildout?
We're talking more about a general pattern in zc.buildout. The deficiencies of using setup.py for this alone are described well in the original proposal.

Yup, and this was the reason for my original question to Jim: why do something in zc.buildout rather than fixing the problems with setuptools?

Because neither the problem nor the fix are well understood, imo, and setuptools is already too complicated.

Perhaps the same could be said about buildout, but no new buildout features are needed to experiment with the issue at this point.

Jim

Powered!
CTO                             (540) 361-1714
http://www.python.org