Wade Leftwich wrote:
If ZCML (a/k/a The Right Way) is keeping fairly smart developers from
trying Z3, then maybe we need an alternative (a/k/a What People Think
They Want).

Are you sure ZCML is The Right Way? I know its purpose (since I helped invent Zope 3): to combine configurations by multiple developers without imposing a particular workflow. However, I maintain that Python code could do the job better. The Python code I have in mind is not the same as Jeffrey's examples. I'll elaborate if there's interest.

Would it make sense to publish a recommended way to configure Z3 apps
completely via Python? Just for people who can't get past ZCML?

Well, I wouldn't say the people I know "can't get past" ZCML. They're smart, and learning an XML schema is not a big effort. However, for someone coming from Java frameworks, yet another XML format is a big mark against Zope, making RoR and other frameworks much more attractive. It's also a mark against Python, since it seems to indicate that Python is too weak to implement a configuration mini-language.

Shane