Chris McDonough wrote:
I dunno about sucking because they are quite good for documentation, but I tend to write plain-old unittests instead of doctests when I'm testing without any pretense towards writing documentation. If you test internals of a class in a doctest, the doctest body gets pretty cluttered, which tends to defeat the documentation-esque-ness of them.

Are you talking about doctests in docstrings? If so, I definitely see downsides to that use case. I was talking about doctests in stand-alone text files. That's my (and several others) preferred way of using them.

If you /were/ talking about stand-alone doctests, then I have no idea what you're talking about. :)
Benji York
Senior Software Engineer
Zope Corporation