On Feb 23, 2006, at 1:17 PM, Benji York wrote:

Chris McDonough wrote:
I dunno about sucking because they are quite good for documentation, but I tend to write plain-old unittests instead of doctests when I'm testing without any pretense towards writing documentation. If you test internals of a class in a doctest, the doctest body gets pretty cluttered, which tends to defeat the documentation-esque-ness of them.

Are you talking about doctests in docstrings? If so, I definitely see downsides to that use case. I was talking about doctests in stand-alone text files. That's my (and several others) preferred way of using them.

Either.

If you /were/ talking about stand-alone doctests, then I have no idea what you're talking about. :)

It's just opinion, but for example, I don't think zope/wfmc/xpdl.txt reads much better as a doctest than it would as a plain old unittest. But it's of course a judgment call.

- C