I've been searching and haven't managed to find the definitive reference guide for the particular dialect of TAL/TALES/METAL that is bundled with Zope 3. There are various fragmentary and somewhat divergent documents around and little about how the particular TALES namespaces provided by Zope 3 work in complex cases.

 http://www.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ZPT/TAL%20Specification%201.4

 http://www.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ZPT/TALES%20Specification%201.3

There are no .txt ReST documents under the TAL and TALES source directories, nor anything in the very nice ++APIDOC++ guide.

---

My specific question is how evaluation of the path expression "X/Z" is handled. It *seems* to be:

    X.__getitem__('Y')    # X['Y']

whereas I'm trying to get:

    X.__getattr__('Y')    # X.Y

Under Zope 2, as I recall, it would try several algorithms; attribute, mapping, sequence. And I'm wondering if that mechanism was simplified for Zope 3, and in what way.

-Jeff