On 7/24/06, Philipp von Weitershausen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Note that in newer Zopes we have a debug shell which saves you a lot of
typing. Simply execute "bin/zopectl debug" from your instance (you don't
even have to put $INSTANCE/lib/python on your PYTHONPATH), the effect is
the same as the Debugger stanza you see in my book. zopectl debug wasn't
around when I wrote the first edition, unfortunately.

Does this mean that a second edition is in the works?

>> Given that I am writing my code somewhere different than my zope instance,
>> how to I extend the default site.zcml to include my stuff?
> I'm sure that the debugger does much more, but after a few minutes thinking
> about how to add things it seemed relatively obvious - just not explicitly
> described anywhere.
> For the benefit of others:
>       - put your development directory in your PYTHONPATH
>       - add a <include package="xxx"/> in the site.zcml for your package.

Indeed that's what you have to do (instead of editing site.zcml you can
also put a worldcookery-configure.zcml slug into etc/package-includes).
This is, btw, described in Chapter 2 as a necessary step for making the
examples work anyway (especially the interactive interpreter sessions).

Sorry, missed the bit in chapter 2 about this, or had just forgotten by the time I needed to do it.

Is adding the slug to the etc/package-includes the preferred way of extending then?

>> In chapter 5 (Content Components), the Recipe object ends up using
>> FieldProperty to initialise members based on the interfaces schema, however
>> in chapter 6 (Persistency) these are dropped and empty unicode strings and
>> PersistentLists used instead.  Does this mean that you loose the schema
>> checks on assignment now?  Confused :???:

Yes, you lose schema checks on assignment. Usually you don't care about
them, though. Automated add and edit forms will perform those checks on
the user input anyways, having them on the Python level is (almost) useless.

OK, thanks.  It is excellent to have the author answer the questions :)