George Lee wrote:
What is the purpose of using the dotted name?
Short answer: package namespaces.

Long answer: Say you're creating a widget library. You could call your package simply "widget". But then if I create a widget library and called it "widget", too, we'd have a conflict and couldn't use them at the same time. That's why you call your package "george.widget" and I'll call my package "philikon.widget". Makes sense?

Yup, thanks. Would philikon.a and philikon.b be able to share anything back and
forth each other, in a deeper way than packages just named a and b?

That entirely depends on how independent you want to keep philikon.a from philikon.b. But that question also arises when having just a and b.