One way is to use another tool.  If you look at it just right, lpr is a
purpose job scheduler.  It checks a lock resource, and allows only one job
to acquire the lock, etc.

The best cookbook I can find to this idea is:

Your main problem then becomes how to efficiently detect that the
spooled job is finished.

jim penny