Hi Frank. Thanks again!
No widget is called. Problem is, there's no schema information contained in
"context/homepage". What the template engine does is basically

 str(context.homepage)

I kinda guessed that from what the browser displays.

Just one last question. if the template just uses str() then what does the following zcml do????? it is in the standard zope3 distribution under the zope/app/form/browser/configure.zcml and I didn't notice any problem even when i removed it. Is it just some irrelevant piece????

<view
type="zope.publisher.interfaces.browser.IBrowserRequest"
for="zope.schema.interfaces.IURI"
provides="zope.app.form.interfaces.IDisplayWidget"
factory=".textwidgets.URIDisplayWidget"
permission="zope.Public"
/>

'fbi18n:text' might be doing more than you want. If it detects a search
engine spider, it presents all language version in separate span-tags (incl.
lang-attributes). 'fbi18n:simpletext' just includes the best matching
language version.
This sounds really cool. I am really unfamiliar with namespaces though. can you please tell me where in fb package (or mpgsite package) you define this namespace.

Thanks again for the help,
regards,
Hass