In my experience (zope2), large full textindexes require more and more cpu time
for every new object added to the point where it takes several minutes for each
new article uploaded!

To avoid this problem,  I was hoping to break the index into smaller pieces by
using extent catalogs to filter by year. Can extent catalogs help mitigate a
scaling issue like this?

I've been able to instanciate one extent catalog per year, but it doesn't
automatically index content like a normal Catalog. It requires a manual reindex.
And to automate indexing content, do I need to implement something like these
for an extent catalog?

  <subscriber
      handler=".catalog.indexDocSubscriber"
      for="zope.app.intid.interfaces.IIntIdAddedEvent"
      />

  <subscriber
      handler=".catalog.reindexDocSubscriber"
      for="zope.lifecycleevent.interfaces.IObjectModifiedEvent"
      />

  <subscriber
      handler=".catalog.unindexDocSubscriber"
      for="zope.app.intid.interfaces.IIntIdRemovedEvent"
      />

Thanks in advance,

Kevin Smith