Hi Jim. I think ${name} or ${part} would be good.

Sorry for poor example. baz in prev example could be a version or other differentiating information to form a path name. Here's a better example though there is many places this could be used.

extra-options = --datadir=${software:prefix}/share/${name}

BTW, can you think of anyway to work around the first issue for buildout part. For substitution to work, could buildout part have its own dict as a data source for substitution prior to files being configured as a special case). Then after config do the routine substitution. So you could have something like the following. Thing is this is a pretty small example and when you get a number of configurations going with long paths, well its sort of looks ugly too, especially if you are using urls or paths that may be the same.

[buildout]
develop = .
parts = somepart anotherpart
etc = p1=/somewhere/in/my/filesystem
      p2=/just/another/somewhat/long/path
extends = ${etc:p1}/bar.cfg
          ${etc:p1}/smallbar.cfg
          ${etc:p1}/bigbar.cfg
          ${etc:p2}/baz.cfg

contrast this with the following without the prefixes:

[buildout]
develop = .
parts = somepart anotherpart
extends = /somewhere/in/my/filesystem/bar.cfg
          /somewhere/in/my/filesystem/smallbar.cfg
          /somewhere/in/my/filesystem/bigbar.cfg
          /just/another/somewhat/long/path/baz.cfg

Regards,
David