Here at DC we recently had a "jam session" discussion on caching.  I
don't think anything "hard" came out of it, we just tossed around some
ideas.

DC has several current contract customers who are going to need high
speed pretty badly.  Of course, they're also going to be using ZEO,
which negates some of the need for speed by distributing the load over
several boxes.  But if that doesn't do the trick, in addition to the
already existing caching stuff in DTML, I'd imagine DC is going to need
to build some HTML-page-level caching into Zope soon.  More specifics I
can't give, it's jammed into the (already very crowded) "nebulous things
we should be working on".  Sounds sort of like fun though.

I haven't used CachePool... gad, it's hard to keep up.

In addition to caching, have you considered trying to use ZEO over a few
machines?