From: Jason Cunliffe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Good news: 'ZMethod' is nice and 'sounds' good, however one says it.

I agree, but then everyone around here thought that Zopelet was fairly
unobjectionable, even though
nobody really *liked* it.

> 1. 'closed' / 'open'
> 2. 'builtin' / 'custom'
> 3. 'local' / 'custom'
> 4. 'client-side' /  'server-side'

None of these characterize the fundamental difference between the two things.   One
applies security
restrictions, the other doesn't.  Other differences, such as web-editable/zodb-stored
vs.
filesystem-based are not fundamental.  We are contemplating unrestricted code which
would be stored
in the zodb, and possibly remote-editable through a secure interface.

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Presumably the focus here is on newbies, not security managers.
> No newbie will ever want to use a Restricted Python ZMethod.
> What newbie wants to be limited/strait-jacketed/'kept from the cool stuff'?
>
> You are propsing a word with negative conotation for something that should
> be prefered!  Yes, it is accurate, but that is beside the point.

The two varieties aren't competing, and we aren't trying to promote one over the
other.  If a newbie
is willing to put up with the risks and awkwardness of the current unrestricted design
simply
because they sound "cooler", we don't need to stop them.  The documentation will
present the
restricted type first and tout their advantages, but explain clearly when and why you
would want to
go to the trouble of going unrestricted.

> Moreover, this also fails the concise/'easy to say' test that was
> used to kick out several other meritorius naming suggestions.
> Unrestricted Python ZMethod (8 syllables, 26 letters) is a
> mouthful!

True (although some of the alternatives base names were worse).  Considering that
there aren't (yet)
other language variants, and that I would usually use the restricted kind, I would
normally just say
"ZMethod".  Only if there were some potential confusion would I say "Unrestricted
zmethod", or the
full title.

Cheers,

Evan @ digicool & 4-am