Hi Chris,

Well, you'd better believe it :-)

It works for me so far. But if you have specific examples that I can use to improve the filter, they would be very welcome.

Two additional things that I had to do to be HTML 4.01 compliant:

* replace <html ...> with <html> (remove the namespace information)
* remove the login portlet: Plone uses form parameters __ac_name and __ac_password, which the W3C validator rejects as invalid.

I have been customising the templates in the past and it takes a lot of work, on many templates, all over the place. In addition, I'd like to keep the content stored in the ZODB as XHTML. And, last but not least, I can upgrade Plone without having to rework all my templates now.

But if you have a better idea, your suggestions are most weclome.

Back to the insanity ;-)

Cheers.

Cyrille

Chris Withers wrote:
Cyrille Bonnet wrote:

Hi all,

I got the filter to work. I just added 3 lines of code in "ZPublisher.HTTPResponse.HTTPResponse" (thanks for your suggestion, Dieter):

        doctype_str_search = re.compile(r'<!DOCTYPE.*>')
body = doctype_str_search.sub('<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd";>', body)

        body = body.replace('/>', '>')

You can't be serious, right?

The above do NOT suddenly make it HTML 4.01, I'm 90% sure ;-)

Really, you should be customising the templates to serve HTML in the format you need rather than persuing this insanity...

Chris