When installing from the source, Python does offer a "make altinstall" which is terrific for installing a newer or older version of Python alongside an existing installation.

For example, Fedore Core 4 comes with Python 2.4 and as far as I can tell, doing a "make altinstall" with the 2.3.5 tarball puts it alongside 2.4 quite nicely.  At any rate, I've had no problems compiling, installing and running Zope 2.7.6 and 2.8 with it.

HTH

On 7/8/05, Paul Winkler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 04:01:23PM +0100, Tony Addyman wrote:
> Removing python-2.4 from the system is not an option. Too many thinks link
> in to it.

No need to remove anything.
Just build python 2.3 and install it in /usr/local (the default).

Then build zope from source like so:

./configure --with-python=/usr/local/bin/python2.3 --prefix=...
make
make install

Does that not work?  I don't see why this is any different from
the usual case of the distro-provided python or zope being too old.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com