I can't speak to the 500 errors you're receiving but Zope 2.8.0
500 is HTTP code, not the error count. I've written this in a messy way.

Zope 2.8.0 ships
with a "TemporaryStorage" implementation (used by sessions in the
default configuration) which does not implement MVCC.  The one in 2.8.1
(now in beta) and better will implement MVCC, so you *should* see
performance improve (or at least see fewer conflict errors while using
sessioning).
Today I wanted to install 2.8.1 but we had no time... :)
Thanks for the info

--
Maciej Wisniowski