I open up a Zope 2.10.1 ZPT or DTML page in a webdav client, using Notepad or
the Amaya web editor. Unfortunately, the DTML tags and ZPT  attibutes get
replaced with the substituted values. All I see in Notepad or Amaya are the
rendered HTML that would get returned to the browser. Thus I cannot modify the
ZPT or DTML page source, since the source is not visible.

Is that intended behavior for Zope and WebDav? It seems kind of pointless.

Is there a workaround? I don't object to using ZopeEdit, but I would prefer to
use WebDav, since that is a general tool that is not specific to Zope.

What is Zope/WebDav for if not for modifying the source (not the rendered
HTML!) of ZPT and DTML objects?