Thanks Dieter,

I was able to "solve" the problem by uninstalling all the products. By trial and error I found out the problem was caused by the Placeless Translation Service product. Maybe there was some dependency from something else; I can't tell. I just got rid of it and now everything works as normal.

Thanks anyhow,


On May 28, 2008, at 8:48 PM, Dieter Maurer wrote:

Giampiero Benvenuti wrote at 2008-5-24 11:47 +0200:
after the upgrade from zope2.9.7 to 2.10.6 i get this error in the
event log:

2008-05-24T09:31:32 ERROR Zope.SiteErrorLog http://myurl/error_log/manage_main
Traceback (innermost last):
 Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 119, in publish
 Module ZPublisher.mapply, line 88, in mapply
 Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 42, in call_object
 Module Shared.DC.Scripts.Bindings, line 313, in __call__
 Module Shared.DC.Scripts.Bindings, line 350, in _bindAndExec
 Module Products.PageTemplates.PageTemplateFile, line 129, in _exec
 Module Products.PageTemplates.PageTemplate, line 89, in pt_render
 Module zope.pagetemplate.pagetemplate, line 117, in pt_render
 Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 271, in __call__
 Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 346, in interpret
 Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 379, in do_startEndTag
 Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 412, in do_startTag
TypeError: len() of unsized object

Looks as if the Zope 2.10 PageTemplate implementation made a big
step backward with respect to quality of traceback information :-((

Shane had added lots of "__traceback_info__" and "__traceback_supplement__"
declarations to the older code such that the tracebacks were
very informative....
... unlike the traceback above.

Looking at the code of "do_startTag", I see that the problem is
with an attribute definition in a start tag.
Such an attribute definition should be evaluated into a sequence of strings
(or unicode strings).
The error happens because one of these sequence elements is
not a string, more precisely, it is something "len(...)" cannot be applied to.

Unfortunately, we would need to know the affected template,
the template line this problems occurs in (and its code)
and the attribute causing this problem.
It would be Zope's task to provide this information -- but as I have said:
it apparently made big steps backward with Zope 2.10....

You could try to add

   __traceback_info__ = name, item, rendered, s

before line 412 of "zope/tal/".

The traceback would then tell us: the name of the tag ("name"),
the attribute definition ("item"), its evaluation ("rendered")
and the problematic element.

We still would not know which PageTemplate causes the problem (but
we might guess this).


Zope maillist  -
**   No cross posts or HTML encoding!  **
(Related lists - )

Reply via email to