On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 02:53:55PM +0200, Christian Scholz wrote:
>>> So my main question is probably: Is there a way to automate the
>>> process of installing and running virtualenv similar to what
>>> bootstrap.py does for buildout so that people do not need to care
>>> about the virtualenv part?

Yes, you can write a custom virtualenv bootstrap script as documented

You can then distribute just your bootstrap script, and all somebody
has to do is download and run it (assuming they have python).  The
bootstrapper will then fetch and run virtualenv, install easy_install
into the virtualenv, and do anything else you put in your

Personally I've never tried combining virtualenv and buildout.

Paul Winkler