--On 6. September 2008 08:26:17 +0200 Marco Bizzarri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi all.

I need to generate a large XML file inside a Zope application; the
file is for backup purposes, so it is stored on the server and can be
downloaded later with whatever suitable tool.

The data are taken from a database, and then they are used to create
the XML. I assume there will be between 40.000 and 100.000 rows to be

I thought i could use page template for this purpose, but I'm not sure
if it is possible to send the output from a pt to a file, directly. Of
course, this is a problem which can be easily solved.

If you're using Zope 2.10 or higher, you can either use the "native" ZPT implementation from Zope 3 (see zope.pagetemplate module) or you use the Zope 2 implementation (which is basically only a wrapper around the Z3 implementation). In this case you might look at the unittests in testZopePageTemplates.py or otherwise you check the doctests of zope.pagetemplate.