--On 6. September 2008 20:34:21 +0200 Dieter Maurer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Marco Bizzarri wrote at 2008-9-6 08:26 +0200:
I need to generate a large XML file inside a Zope application; the
file is for backup purposes, so it is stored on the server and can be
downloaded later with whatever suitable tool.

The data are taken from a database, and then they are used to create
the XML. I assume there will be between 40.000 and 100.000 rows to be

I thought i could use page template for this purpose, but I'm not sure
if it is possible to send the output from a pt to a file, directly.

I fear, this is not a supported usecase:

  The standard page template implementation writes to a
  "StringIO" object (thus its internal infrastructure is prepared
  for incremental output generation)
  but the file to be written to it not controllable from outside.

Of course you can write the rendered result to a file. However the construction will occur in memory and might require lots of memory.
No idea about the structure and the complexity of the XML document....
generating it through Python is very likely faster and will requires less resources.