> I'm not calling them anything. These are the standard streams
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_streams .
> stderr is used to signal errors. Is it possible to redirect the output of
> trace() to stdout, or not use trace() at all?
Waiting for minutes without any information about what the driver is doing does
not help IMHO.

I used trace messages for diagnostic purposes( and that should be the default
behaviour IMO):
- it may be used by the user to see if the passed options were correctly
interpreted by the driver; Identify typo's in the parameter names and so on.
- it may be used to see what the driver is actually doing

If one does not need to see the trace messages he can disable the trace
function from the driver.

Still, I have opened lp:1080606 for the issues that you and Cezar mentioned
wrt. the comparison you both made between ctest and FOTS driver behaviour.

We can discuss it at the next conference and decide how we want to proceed: HTH.