1) Nope, the order is correct. It was incorrect before I have reversed them.
Here is the judgement from the spec:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery-30/#id-itemtype-subtype
--
Bi is function(Ba_1, Ba_2, ... Ba_N) as Br, Ai is function(Aa_1, Aa_2, ...
Aa_M) as Ar, where N (arity of Bi) equals M (arity of Ai); subtype(Ar, Br); for

Note:

Function return types are covariant because this rule invokes subtype(Ar, Br)
for return types. Function arguments are contravariant because this rule
invokes subtype(Ba_I, Aa_I) for arguments.
--

The QNAME should indeed be an EQNAME. I'll change it.

There 1 test failure the remote queue reports seems to be random -- I've also
seen various Excel tests failing randomly on the /hof branch. I've checked for
memory errors with valgrind and there were none.

https://code.launchpad.net/~zorba-coders/zorba/hof-merge/+merge/151673