Hello, everyone.

This is my first foray into actually running Zotonic, though I did quite a
bit of reading about Zotonic a couple of years back when I first
experimented with Elixir. Managed to write some simple programs despite
being new to Erlang altogether, and I quite liked it, but my pretext for
this coding adventure vanished under me, and it has since taken me a couple
of years to concoct a new pretext.

I switched myself over to FreeBSD (or various close derivatives) several
years ago because I liked ZFS snapshots a lot.

For my first Zotonic install, I'm installing onto my FreeBSD 12 workstation
plain vanilla, without adding the complexity of a jail (or iocage).

I got the Erlang and Postgres dependencies installed easily enough.

And the git clone worked.

When I run plain make, it doesn't find CC.

So I ran make CC=gcc9 and I get an error over stdint.h not found.

So I ran make CC=clang80 and the same thing.

/usr/home/allan/work/zotonic/zotonic/c_src/syslog_drv.c:24:10: fatal error:
> 'stdint.h' file not found

Google did not resolve this for me right away. Found some very outdated
forum posts about FreeBSD having stdint.h in a slightly nonstandard place
("nonstandard" by the non-standard of how Linux does it, anyway).

But also I'm lacking the dependency build-essential, which I'm not sure is
actually essential under FreeBSD.

So the diagnostic tree is getting a bit bushy to merely grope around, and I
thought I would instead introduce myself at this early juncture, and ask
for guidance.

If my local experimentation is fruitful, I might be back again soon for
some guidance on suitable cloud hosts.

What I'm trying to pull together is basically a blog with some data and
some models, where the blog has a thematic bias toward robustness and
systems theory, which I would ideally dogfood in the platform itself.

Robustness: ZFS, Postgres, Beam VM. Three of my favourite things. (Weirdly,
I watched hours of video about beam and the OTP before pulling out my code
editor, because that's how I roll. The robustness code-smell was
overwhelming. So I knew it was my favourite thing, even before I found a
good excuse to really use it.)

Any ideas on my stdint.h problem?

[*] *Today's trivia:* Microsoft originally popularized the term "eating
your own dogfood" during the development of Windows NT, when Dave Cutler
insisted that the coding of the OS be performed under the current builds.

I found that on Coding Horror, but I remember it well myself, the era in
which "to dogfood" was first verbed in the English language, and I've never
fully recovered from the culture of anti-quality which paradoxically
ensued.

What Spock really said (in Vulcan): long uptime and short latency on fat
queues. But it was *slightly* mangled in translation as "live long and
prosper".

TIA,
Allan

--