Phillip Hutchings wrote:
On 18/05/05, Ian Bicking <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Well, ZPT is pretty slow moving these days, but there's a feature that
I'd be interested in.  It's inspired by Kid
(http://lesscode.org/projects/kid/), which is very similar to ZPT.  In
it, you can have Python code:

<?python
?>

This is precisely why TAL was created - to avoid having code blocks. Code blocks screw with things such as browsers when you use them outside of the preprocessor. With TAL I know how my template will look even when it has the TAL code in it. If I tweak the design I don't need to maintain a copy with TAL and without TAL, I just have one to work with.

Code blocks like I describe don't have any of those problems. They prepare the data, they don't produce any output. I guess if you produced chunks of HTML and then used "structure" to insert them then it would be a problem, but there's always ways to abuse things.

There exist places where display logic is complex. This addresses that without mixing markup and complex logic, but does allow them to live close together, which I think is appropriate. Complex logic in ZPT exists, right now; has anyone here not encountered this? I think my <select> example is pretty normal; the alternative is either to push lots of display logic into the controller, create a third layer between controller and view, render large pieces of content outside of ZPT entirely, or figure out a way to better mix complex logic and ZPT. I'm proposing the last of those. The first is the current status quo. Rending code outside of ZPT is just the thing I mention above, and seems like exactly what you don't want.

A third layer is possible, and I'm open to that, but it's basically the same thing I'm talking about except split into two documents. Personally I think two tightly bound documents (and these would be *very* tightly bound) are just begging to be combined, which is why I prefer putting the block into ZPT.

--
Ian Bicking  /  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  / http://blog.ianbicking.org