Alexander Limi sent this note to the zope3-dev list:
Essentially, he proposed that we introduce additional namespaces to
allow each define or attribute to be computed in a separate attribute,
something like this:
> <a attr:href="some/url"
> attr:title="some/title" />
There's been a good bit of discussion, with both proponents and
detractors. I'll try to summarize fairly; if anyone thinks I've
mis-represented what's been said, please correct me.
- Using ";" and multiple lines to define variables is hard to read.
- Using ";;" as an escape is difficult to understand.
- Separate attributes are easier to handle for XML tools (no
semicolons with any meaning)
- More consistent syntax, no need to learn a special way to separate
- The more limitted attribute set makes it easier to verify using schemas.
- Order of evaluation could not be well-defined without being arbitrary.
- More namespaces means more to learn.
Continuing discussion should take place on the ZPT list, since this
affects more than just the Zope-based ZPT users.
Fred L. Drake, Jr. <fdrake at gmail.com>
"There is no wealth but life." --John Ruskin
ZPT mailing list