> Are there any other uses for cables of that shape other than with Macs?
> It's not marked with anything, it's just the right size and has the
> right number of pins to connect the two together.
>
> I'm not currently trying to network anything with anything, so what do
> I need in the way of AppleTalk and LocalTalk to get just the printer
> and the computer communicating with each other?
>
> I also have a...6300, I think, with no ethernet card and the modem port
> blocked off because there's another modem in there, which is running
> 8.0 and also has no desire to use the printer as-is, I don't have an 8
> install CD (will an upgrade to 8.1 downloaded from Apple help any?)),
> and a Classic (system 7) and a Classic II (really can't remember what
> it's running...maybe 6?).  What I'm really trying to do right now is
> see if the printer has any use to me at all, else I'll heave it, so if
> it'd be better for me to hook it up to another machine to test  it out,
> if anything else is even compatible with it, I can try that instead...

With the setup you have, you should be able to plug in to the printer port
with AppleTalk turned off.  Before ditching the printer make sure you have
the right printer cable.  Yes there are other cables that look alike and
might fit.

Good Luck

  --> AOL users, remove "mailto:";
Send list messages to:   <mailto:1st-powermacs@mail.maclaunch.com>
To unsubscribe, email:   <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
For digest mode, email:  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subscription questions:  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
List archive:            <http://mail.maclaunch.com/lists/1st-powermacs/>

iPod Accessories for Less
at 1-800-iPOD.COM
Fast Delivery, Low Price, Good Deal