> On 15 May 2019, at 20:37, aravind gosukonda <arabha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I plan to run 389ds in containers (docker image on kubernetes), with a
> multi-master replication setup, as described below.
>
> Setup:
> - Deployment: I'm using kubernetes statefulsets so the containers get created
> with the same name
> - Name resolution: A headless service is created, so the containers can talk
> to each other using hostnames
> - Data: Persistent volumes, auto-created by using a storage class, mounted
> using persistent volume claims
> - replication:
>   - replica id: extracted from the hostname
>   - replica host: I'm looking for containers in the same stateful set and
> extracting their names

Hey there!

Great to hear you want to use this in a container. I have a few things to
advise here.

From reading this it looks like you want to have:

[ Container 1 ]    [ Container 2 ]    [ Container 3 ]
          |                       |                           |
[                       Shared Volume                          ]

So first off, this is *not* possible or supported. Every DS instance needs it's
own volume, and they replicate to each other:

[ Container 1 ]    [ Container 2 ]    [ Container 3 ]
         |                            |                         |
[   Volume 1   ]   [     Volume 2 ]    [    Volume 3   ]

You probably also can't autoscale (easily) as a result of this. I'm still
working on ideas to address this ...

But you can manually scale, if you script things properly.

> I have a few questions about replication in this setup. When a container is
> destroyed, and replaced with a new one
>   i.  should I disable changelog and re-enable it?

Every instance needs it's own changelog, and that is related to it's replica
ID. If you remove a replica there IS a clean up process. Remember, 389 is not
designed as a purely stateless app, so you'll need to do some work to manage
this.

>  ii.  should I delete the replication agreements and recreate them?

You'll need to just assert they exist statefully - ansible can help here.

> iii.  should I re-initialize the ds instance in the newly created container?

What do you mean by "re-init" here? from another replica? The answer is ... "it
depends".

> iv.  are there any known conditions that can break replication or corrupt the
> ds instance if the new container still reads data from the same volume?

So many things can go wrong. Every instance needs it's own volume, and data is
shared via replication.

Right now, my effort for containerisation has been to help support running 389
in atomic host or suse transactional server. Running in kubernetes "out of the
box" is a stretch goal at the moment, but if you are willing to tackle it, I'd
fully help and support you to upstream some of that work.

Most likely, you'll need to roll your own image, and youll need to do some work
in dscontainer (our python init tool) to support adding/removing of replicas,
configuration of the replicaid, and the replication passwords.

At a guess your POD architecture should be 1 HUB which receives all incomming
replication traffic, and then the HUB dynamically adds/removes agreements to
the the consumers, and manages them. The consumers are then behind the haproxy
instance that is part of kube.

Your writeable servers should probably still be outside of this system for the
moment :)

Does that help? I'm really happy to answer any questions, help with planning
and improve our container support upstream with you.

Thanks,

—
Sincerely,

William Brown

Senior Software Engineer, 389 Directory Server
SUSE Labs