> A simple way to consider this is that every 389 instance in a container is a
> read-only
> replica, then you simplfy your system a lot (RO instances have a replica ID
> of 65535 (I
> think)). This way on startup/shutdown you just re-init the RO from an
> external hub or
> similar, then you don't care if you delete the volume associate with the
> container.
>
> If you plan to make your container instances writeable, you should probably
> not autoscale
> - consider a container addition/removal the same as adding/removing a host,
> requiring a
> clean ruv, and other maintenance tasks to be performed. Consider each
> persistent volume
> with a replica id, db, changelog, as the "instance" and the container just
> enables access to it.
>
> So every time you add another container to the scaling, you need to add
> another persistent
> volume, with it's own unique replica Id's, db, changelog, and then have
> replication between them.
>
> Perhaps what could help me is a diagram of your planned infrastructure?
>

> To help with this, let's assume:
>
> [ Container 1 ]
> [ Volume ID abcd ]
>
> Now you destroy container 1 and upgrade to a newer version - if this is the
> case, so long
> as all your stateful data is in the volume (dse.ldif, db, changelog db), then
> this is
> fine:
>
> [ Container NEW! ]
> [ Volume ID abcd ]
>
> It would act like container 1 did, with the same replica ID etc.

The docker image just has the 389-ds packages installed. I'm running an init
script, which will check if there is already any data present in the attached
volume and start it or create a new ds instance, using dscreate and inf files.
So I think I have auto-scaling covered, as the volumes are also created on
demand, using a kubernetes storageclass.

> It would be great to have some more testing of the dscontainer tool too, so
> please see how
> that goes. You can use the latest with opensuse/tumbleweed:latest as a docker
> base image,
> and just zypper in 389-ds-base. If you want even NEWER versions, you can look
> at
> network:ldap as a repo - I'm happy to help provide dockerfile advice for
> these cases.
> These assume all your state is in /data, so provided you have that you can
> work as per the
> example above.

I'll also spin up a separate set for testing dscontainer, from the repos you've
mentioned.
> —
> Sincerely,
>
> William Brown
>
> Senior Software Engineer, 389 Directory Server
> SUSE Labs
Thanks,
Aravind