Now, if I can figure out how to do the over punch on this keyboard. :)

Job control language was more like assembler with very, very simple operations. The problem was that a lot of verby things got put into the operands.

DD means data definition. The first symbol, SYSIN in this case, is the name that the program will open. The operands after the DD operation specified the device at which SYSIN pointed. Splat was a sort of `here' document. The /* was the end-of-file for it.

Everyone I knew carried the Brown book which has examples of the common permutations. You had to modify for your local OS installation. The Brown book was actually blue. The fellow should have been named Black. Because after banging your head on JCL it was Black and blue--not Brown and blue.

Skip Tavakkolian wrote:
bundles are implemented by here documents,
and the end marker for the document must not appear
in the data

vague recollection (1982), it was something like:

//SYSIN DD      *
data
records
go