On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 11:29 AM, Enrico Weigelt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Convenience is one point (sometimes be a big point), but another
> important one is sharing. Without mmap(), an (real) shared library
> support most likely will require special kernel support.

Actually, almost any kernel support for shared libraries will need
something like mmap() internally.

I forget who said it, and the local firewall won't allow me to search
the online copy of /sys/games/lib/fortunes, but there should be a line
there about Linux having 200+ system calls, most of them emulatable
with mmap().

--Joel