On Wed Mar  4 09:12:08 EST 2009, uai...@gmail.com wrote:
> While learning some of acme's basic commands I was also shocked by
> this, and I agree with Ruda that executing a Put with a non-existent
> file (e.g.  '/home/ruda/a' ;-) should save the contents of the window
> in that file.

this isn't true.  if you click on New and then type something
for a filename you will notice that the tag line box becomes
filled and then click on Put, the file *will* be saved, even if the
file does not exist.

if on the other hand you try to modify the name of a directory
listing frame, the tag line box is not filled.  this is a hint
that you're doing something wrong.  also there is no Put option.
this is a bigger hint that you're doing something wrong.

the reason that directories behave differently is that in acme
programs are allowed to take over a window.  while the directory
listing is built in, it operates on the same principle, and it does
not make sense to write a directory through acme's interface.