On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 7:33 AM, Lucio De Re <lu...@proxima.alt.za> wrote:
> No, and no "yuck", either: Go executables are different animals and
> they are allowed to be identified as such.  Until they are not, when
> they are allowed to become the same animal.
> snip...
>
> And maybe it's just me being uninformed, but I have this suspicion that
> you need a Go toolchain with Plan 9 targets to produce Plan 9 executables.
> Maybe I should phrase this as a question: does the default Go toolchain
> produce Plan 9 executables or is a separate toolchain required for it?
> I'm pretty certain there's a need for two toolchains, but I'll be very
> happy to be proven wrong (and Ron right, of course).

The vanilla Go distribution will produce ELF executables on
Linux/FreeBSD/Darwin when the GOOS is set accordingly. If GOOS is set
to plan9, 8l will produce a real Plan 9 a.out executable (it might
complain it cannot find runtime and other packages unless you follow
the procedure to build them).

Pavel