    Atte> Anyway; how do I get the brackets 'round the accidental in abc?

We've discussed this; there's a similar problem in early music, where
the notation didn't always include accidentals that "everybody" would
know to play, and modern editors want to put them in, since
"everybody" today doesn't necessarily know.  And it would be useful to
be able to have the MIDI play them.

The best solution I know in the context of the current abc2ps is to
put "(#)" above the note.  This would be almost good enough for my
purposes if abc2ps understood the TeX commands for entering \sharp,
\flat, and \natural, but it doesn't.

I have also proposed that there be an extension to the current syntax
so that a ^, _, or = enclosed in parentheses would be printed that
way.   I don't remember anyone either disagreeing with this or rushing
to implement it.

If I were implementing this, I would also provide %% commands so that
it was under the control of the editor whether these accidentals
printed above, below, or on the staff, with or without parentheses, or
didn't print at all but were just directions to player programs.

--
Laura (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097  fax: (801) 365-6574