John Henckel wrote:
>In abcm2ps there is a bug.  If an accidental is used several times in the
>same measure, it draws all of them.  Thus, K:F and " =B =B " will print two
>notes with naturals in front of them, but only the FIRST one should have a
>natural sign.  I am going to fix jhabc2ps so that only the first occurrance
>of an accidental is printed in each measure.  I recommend that all other
>ABC rendering programs should do likewise.

This is a really bad idea.  Such  "advisory"  accidentals  are  often
there for a good reason. Suppressing them means that you're using cpu
time to make the music less readable. Nobody will thank you for this.
I wouldn't even consider using software that damages my music in such
a fashion.

Also, by doing this, you are  explicitly  excluding  both  the  Early
Music  and  Modern  Music  crowds from the set of ABC users.  Both of
these crowds often use the convention that accidentals apply to  only
the  one  note.   They  have  good reason for this.  Discarding their
explicitly-coded accidentals will  mean  that  they  can't  use  your
software.

It should be noted that, for music formatters, the  question  of  the
scope  of  accidentals  is  irrelevant.   It only matters when you're
playing the music.  Music formatters don't play the notes, they  just
produce staff notation. They don't need to know anything at all about
a note's pitch, only how to represent it on a page.

So  a  music  formatter  like  abc2ps  has  no  business  trying   to
second-guess the transcriber. It should simply display accidentals as
shown in the ABC, and not try to "improve" on them.

Notation for parenthesized accidentals is a good idea.  We've  had  a
number  of  suggestions that (^)A or (=)B be legal.  This is probably
the most intuitive solution, and doesn't seem to  conflict  with  the
use of parens for slurs. There was a suggestion that ?^A be used, but
I don't think there was any reaction to this.

I have wondered whether this should be discussed again.  There are  a
number  of  places  where parens are used like this in printed music.
The one case where parens won't work in ABC is  for  optional  slurs.
Writing  something  like (()ab cd) is probably not a good idea.  It's
confusing and tricky to parse.  The notation  ?(ab  cd)  would  be  a
better  way  of  saying  that  the  slur is optional.  Programs could
interpret this as is appropriate.  A formatter could generate  little
parens  around  the  slur.  A player could randomly choose whether to
honor the slur.

In most other cases that I can think of, parens in ABC would work. An
optional  chord  can be written as "(Em)", for instance, and everyone
will know what is meant.  Similarly, (.)G and (H)G  are  obvious  and
intuitive, and easy to parse.