Laurie wrote:

 >Right - programs should accept the widest choice but generate
 >standard ABC.
 >BUT
 >Think about Barfly. It doesn't generate at all.
 >If it accepts mangled syntax then it encourages and legitimises
 >such mangling If it refuses to, then it is "broken" - so it
 >needs careful thought. And any other "input only" ABC program
 >(e.g. one that just converts to tadpoles, or one that just
 >plays) it has the same characteristic.
 >I don't know what the answer is.

Just a little earlier in this thread, it occurred to me that what
I would like to see in BarFly is a "Save as standard abc" menu
command. A text file would be saved (and displayed) that preserves
as much of the active file as possible without using any features
not found in the current standard. V: lines and whatever else
would either be stripped or "commented out" (%). What would remain
would be readable by any program that adhered to the standard, and
would therefore be suitable for posting publicly.

 <______>     | | | | |  David Barnert
 <______>     | | | | |  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Ventilator   Concertina
  Bellows      Bellows