> I would like to see in BarFly is a "Save as standard abc" menu
> command. A text file would be saved (and displayed) that preserves
> as much of the active file as possible without using any features
> not found in the current standard. V: lines and whatever else
> would either be stripped or "commented out" (%). What would remain
> would be readable by any program that adhered to the standard, and
> would therefore be suitable for posting publicly.

How would this command know, when dealing with a four-part harmonization
of a hymn, whether the tune was in the soprano or tenor line?

I would have no use for this.  When I violate the standard I know why
I'm doing it, and the "standard" version wouldn't express what I want.
I would rather post what I mean and leave it to the user to decide how
to handle it.  It's not like these "violations" are easy - using the
"w:" feature is a hell of a lot of work and someone who's managed to
get a text underlay right is not just going to throw it all away again.

The following is nonstandard in only one respect, the variable-length
gracenotes (I think fermatas are standard now?)  They're an essential
part of the music and if ABC can't represent them, well, as Schoenberg
said when somebody told him his violin concerto was too difficult to
play, "I want the little finger to grow longer.  I can wait."

X:1
T:Salute on the Birth of Rory Mor MacLeod
S:Kilberry Book of Ceol Mor #35
M:C
L:1/8
Q:1/4=80
K:Hp
P:Ground
{ge4d}B>{G}HB   {G}B2       c3 B|{g}f>{e}f {e}Hf2   {g}f4 |\
   {g}e2     {fege}f2       a3 e|{g}f>e        a>e  {g}f4 |
   {g}B>f       {g}e>B {GBG}c3 B|{g}f>{e}f {e}Hf2   {g}f4 |\
   {g}e2     {fege}f2       a3 e|{g}f>e        a>e  {g}f4||
   {g}fa     {eAfA}e2       f3 c|{g}e2   {fege}f2  {ag}a4 |\
      f>e          a>e      f3 c|{g}e<{A}He {A}e2  {g}He4||
   {g}e2     {fege}f2       a3 e|{g}f>e        a>e  {g}f4 |\
   {g}fa     {eAfA}e2       f3 c|{g}e>f     {g}e>f {ag}a4|]