--------

David Barnert wrote:
| Just a little earlier in this thread, it occurred to me that what
| I would like to see in BarFly is a "Save as standard abc" menu
| command. A text file would be saved (and displayed) that preserves
| as much of the active file as possible without using any features
| not found in the current standard. V: lines and whatever else
| would either be stripped or "commented out" (%). What would remain
| would be readable by any program that adhered to the standard, and
| would therefore be suitable for posting publicly.

In particular, you can convert V:  lines to P:  lines fairly cleanly.
The  result  doesn't  look nearly as nice as what can be done with V:
lines, but it does  preserve  the  information,  and  is  usable  for
playing the music on multiple instruments. Similarly, w: lines can be
converted to W:  lines with a small amount of  editing,  though  this
does lose the information of alignment with notes. Some other things,
such as clefs, should probably be  added  as  symbols  to  pass  over
without  even  a warning.  Printing bass or alto as treble clef isn't
ideal, and it's no way to impress your neighborhood bass player,  but
it is usable and does preserve the information.

Hmmm ... Maybe I should try writing yet another small perl program.

I have been considering augmenting my tune  finder  with  some  pages
that  give  people several ways of trying to recover from strange ABC
that the local tools (abc2ps and abc2midi) don't grok. The main issue
is figuring out a good design for the web pages.