>>> But what about the use of ! as a delimeter in 1.7.6.
>> The potential conflict with abc2win code can be resolved fairly easily
>> in the parser by looking forward to see if an ! is at the end of a line
>> or not.
> Yes, but what does abc2win do with an exclamation mark in the middle
> of a line?

>From what other people are saying it seems like it does the sensible thing.

BarFly needs ! too.  You can presumably use it to detect when a line
has been completed without there being a barline at the end.  Which
would make those of us who want to write open-ended lines very happy.
It would also make me happy because using ! in mid-line helps me
resolve the conflict between writing ABC in a manner optimized for
source readability and having it laid out sensibly on the printed page.

Obviously not many people yet care about having their source readable,
but as ABC matures there are going to be an increasing number of people
for whom it is their first musical notation - like blind users - and
the kind of ABC they're going to want to use is the legibly-laid-out
variety.

> I fail to see the necessity for any more text delimiters in the music.

Me too.  This !...! syntax is a disaster waiting to happen because of its
incompatibility with abc2win and needs to be stepped on before it spreads.